Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The word of the day!

Sacrifice
Well all day today this word has been coming to my mind. I started the day off by finding out that a friend of mine lost her grandmother. She had to sacrifice. Another friend of mine is in Peru and is missing her sister eighteenth birthday today. She had to sacrifice. Tonight a group of wonderful friends and family gathered together to say good bye to me. They are, well...They are sacrificing the next two years with me and I with them.
Many people often ask if I feel like I am giving up too much by leaving the U.S. to tell other about Jesus. They worry that I will miss out on the joys of starting a family, or the intensity early career life. I have even been told that there will never be a better time than right now to invest in a home.
So when I look at all of these things, I too am sacrificing. I know most of all I will miss my family and friends. I will not be here for the amazing things God is doing in Watauga.
But, I know God is still going to be doing these great things in Watauga. He has called be to be a part of the great things He is doing in Peru.
Even more than all of this I remember the cross. Jesus sacrificed. What He gave up was the greatest sacrifice. He willingly left the right hand of God in heaven, came to earth and bore the sin of the entire world so that I, so that we could join Him there for eternity.
WOW, so it went from sacrifice for Him to blessing for me all in one smooth move. None of the things I mentioned above have had this great of an effect on humanity but all of these sacrifices in there own way also bring forth blessings.

A grandmother left this life today, but she lives on in eternity praising the King.
A girl gave up her sisters birthday, but because of this lost, people in Peru will hear about the Way.
My friends, family and I are giving up time with each other, but in my heart I know that through this God will make me a better man, a better friend and He and His kingdom will be glorified. Even in the midst of sacrifice, what better blessing could I ask for?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got it right! The sacrifice you make will be minor compared with the blessings God will pour out on you for being obedient.

AnthonyS said...

Sacrifice is what we are called to do. But I believe that through your sacrifice better things are to come. (like Lynelle said)
I know it seems hard now but you will be alright.

Cody Smith said...

Make no mistake, I am ready, willing and exciting! I know that God has great things for me.